Minor Launcher Modifications

On our last launch day we had a few small issues that I wanted to fix.

  • We had a leak near the one-way valve at around 100psi
  • The way the old launcher was molded the launch cable was at 45 degrees to the fill cable. Would be nice for them to be together
  • The launch tube was slipping down the launch pole support so I wanted to make it sturdier
  • Wanted to fix the launch cable to the launcher to make it easier to carry out to the launch site

These are all only small things and I had time tonight to do them before the planned launch this weekend.

One Way Valve Leak

I have used some Teflon tape on the threads of the one way valve and tightened them all. I was able to test at 30psi and no leaks, held that pressure for 5 minutes, couldn’t really go any higher as it is late, don’t want to wake the neighbors. We will do a hydrostatic test before the launch to see if we have any leaks at 100psi.

One Way Valve and Gardena Quick Release

One Way Valve and Gardena Quick Release

Release Cable Position

I just cut off the molded section we were using on the old launcher, put a metal L bracket on it and screwed it with a 75mm (3″) screw into the launcher base. Its very sturdy and not going anywhere. Tested fine. The launch cable and the air line can now run really parallel.

New String Release Point

New String Release Point

Launch Pole Modification

I purchased a 90 degree elbow to fit the 13mm launch tube pipe. I put this at the base so that it supported the vertical part of the launch tube. I also cable tied the launch tube to the metal support and the gardena female adapter is sitting on the lip of the metal support. Its very sturdy now.

Launch Tube Elbow

Launch Tube Elbow

I also cut down the height of the launch pole by about 25cm (10″), it didn’t need to be that high.

Fix the Release Cable to the Launcher

This was just a convenience matter and one less thing to juggle when carrying the equipment out to the launch site. I just screwed 2 long screws into the launcher base and wrapped the 10m (30ft) of launcher cable around it .

New Modified Launcher

New Modified Launcher

Tags:

This entry was posted on Saturday, August 30th, 2008 at 2:19 am and is filed under Development. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

 
 

Comments are closed.